Skip to main content

Trying to Beat Life with a Punch (or two)

So I feel like I haven't been tweeting a lot these days (except to maybe talk about NielWink or OngHwang fics). I've been open about the mental issues that I've been going through, and although I keep it on the lowkey with the people in my life, except to people I'm close with, I opened this blog to serve as a platform to publicly talk about it. So I guess this is a bit of an update with what's been going on with me lately.


What's New

Lately I've been feeling so burnt out with my professional life that I thought I finally reached a breaking point. That was the time that I seriously thought that I needed help. Like I have mentioned before, I'm not the type of person who asks for help unless I really need it, but this time around I felt like I would explode if I didn't take the drastic measure that I eventually took. So I did a huge leap. I went to a psychiatrist. This may not be surprising to those people living in the west, but in our country, mental health is still unfortunately a taboo. It was the week where I just felt like giving up on everything and I felt so lost. I was not in my best state, and it was honestly a scary feeling. That weekend, I mustered up the courage to go to a doctor and find out what is wrong with me. I didn't tell anyone I was going; I went alone. The moment I got in my grab car, I immediately wanted to go back home and just hide under my covers, I also kept thinking "what if I'm just overreacting about what I'm feeling? What if I don't need help?" but all the time I was thinking that, I already arrived at the hospital and well, there's not much left to do but to go straight there.

Asking For Help

I got there a little later, but I assumed that there won't be a lot of patients anyway. Boy was I wrong. Surprisingly, there are a lot of patients seeking for psychiatric help! I patiently waited for my turn (actually this is a lie, I was anxious the whole time), until they called me in. I didn't really know what to expect, I guess I thought it would be a place where you're lying down and telling the doctor what your problem is. Well, it's kinda like that, but I didn't lie down. The first thing he asked me was "how can I be of service to you?" and I surprised myself that it didn't feel difficult to talk about what I felt. At one point, I even teared up and apologized to him, which now, thinking back, I have no idea why I apologized for lol. What struck me the most, I guess, is when I finished, he asked me "how come you've only asked for my help right now, after years of living with how you're feeling?". I have no answer to that question, because I myself don't know. I guess the blame all goes out to the taboo of not believing that having a mental illness is not a "real illness", and that you're gonna be coined as "baliw/crazy" if you seek for psychological help. But I decided to break down that taboo, that fear, because I want to be healthy. I want to live. I want to be happy. We all deserve the happiness, we all deserve to not feel like shit every single day. At the end of the session, I felt like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. I never really thought that unloading your feelings to someone could feel this good.

All About Health

So now let's get on to how I'm feeling right now. At this moment, I feel perfectly fine. I've been taking what was prescribed to me, and I've started having an active lifestyle too. Work still sucks, but I will learn to deal with it when my mind has calmed down. I started doing Muay Thai and boxing with friends and I have never felt stronger and happier too. I guess Elle Woods was right about exercise. I'll also begin yoga in the coming weeks, so I'm also excited for that. I guess you may say that I'm starting to take care of myself better in more ways than one. Muay Thai was really super hard for me since I have a very low endurance thanks to my asthma, but I found myself having more fun doing it! I learned how to do the jab straight correctly, I learned how to kick without hurting myself, I learned how to use my knee in defense. Plus, my trainer keeps saying "balance" and it reminded me a lot of Yixing lol. Boxing was also a great exercise! I loved that we focused on footwork too. I did miss kicking, so I guess Muay Thai was better for me even if I felt like my whole being was aching even days after doing it.

Best Thing I Did

I do believe that seeking professional help is still the best thing I ever did, and I want to encourage you all to seek it too, it's never too late to do it if you feel the urge that you need to. I am not ashamed of what I'm going through; if I can be a source to take you step by step on how to get over this, I will be a good source. We will get over this, we will get better. I believe so.


P.S. I have had this entry done and saved in drafts for more than a week now. I was still contemplating on what if I post this and people will just think I'm overreacting? How can I write about going to a doctor for my mental health? But screw my anxiety. I am feeling loads better, I feel happier, and I still feel like writing about my thoughts help me. So yeah. If you need to talk about it, you can comment here, or if you want anonymity, I have my Curious Cat. Stay strong, everyone.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hardest Thing I Ever Had to Do

Seeing as this won the poll , I'm guessing we all go through the same thing everyday. Where to begin really.. As everyone knows, speaking about inner battles, or whatever goes through our heads, is not the easiest thing to do especially in public. We go through our day as normally as possible, even if we have so many things clouding our minds and most of the time we come out of it unscathed. I want to start this entry by saying, you've done so well.

So I Had An Ovarian Cyst

I've been really distracted the past week because I was recently diagnosed with dermoid cyst which was found on my right ovary. It was definitely one of the most trying experiences of my life. I initially didn't want to share this because I feel like it can dampen the mood for some reason, and also the sole reason why I didn't want to talk about it until I was already lined up for surgery. But, I do know that it is my goal to let women know this could happen to them, too. So I guess I'm here for a.... STORY TIME! lol

Being Multifandom and A Late Feminist in the 2018 Twitter Fandomland

I was sitting at Tim Hortons (like I always do every week) when I realized I should probably make a long post about the current situation I put myself into. Is my tweet poorly worded? I generally don't really care as much whenever I get bombarded with hate asks and/or accusations about my age, fandom choices, or even about how I look. I still don't feel any sort of anger or hatred towards anyone, I just chose not to feel any of it anymore. However, since a lot of you misunderstood what I meant, and some of you who haven't liked me from the beginning anyway and decided to dig my immature, smh-worthy tweets, I felt like I should make a post about everything surrounding it.