Skip to main content

So I Had An Ovarian Cyst

I've been really distracted the past week because I was recently diagnosed with dermoid cyst which was found on my right ovary. It was definitely one of the most trying experiences of my life. I initially didn't want to share this because I feel like it can dampen the mood for some reason, and also the sole reason why I didn't want to talk about it until I was already lined up for surgery. But, I do know that it is my goal to let women know this could happen to them, too. So I guess I'm here for a.... STORY TIME! lol


I wasn't planning on going to my OB Gynecologist at all, but my period was like 3 weeks late, and it's never been THAT late at all. I was feeling all the pms, more bloated than usual, still feeling the cramps, but no period. My sister advised me to just get it checked out, cos it might not be anything, but it could also mean something. I also knew that the delay in my period is taking a toll on me because I've been pretty stressed out with my personal life lately, so I thought meh it could just really be that I'm super stressed. So I went to my OB Gyn, and she did an ultrasound check on me. She was so calm, asking me, "do you have a health card?" and I was like "yeah, I do," and then she calmly told me that I have a pretty huge cyst, around 13cm, just right there on my right ovary. At this point, I was crying so much and she had to calm me down before we got to talk after I got dressed. We discussed our options, with my OB saying that the best option is open surgery, and I told her that I'll return after a few days so we can schedule an operation, because apparently it needs to be surgically removed as soon as possible, otherwise it can explode.

WHAT I DID PRE-SURGERY

I returned home and cried some more, and called my sister to ask her what I should do. She told me she'll come with me when I go back to my OB Gyn, schedule the surgery, and we'll figure out the rest later. So days leading to my surgery, I fixed my health cards with my work's HR, got a second opinion from another OB Gyn who said pretty much the same thing, and fixed a surgery schedule.

Honestly for me, the scariest part are the days leading up to my surgery. The anxiety, the over-thinking... It was all too much. I wanted to talk to someone about it, but I know that if I talk to my family about it, I'd only worry them, and if I talk to my friends about it, I'd only burden them with my problems when they already have a lot in their plates. It was stupid, but it was a coping mechanism I've grown accustomed to. I really hated that this was seen at a time in my life where I couldn't afford to stop everything, because I have so much to do with so little time (professionally speaking).

SURGERY TIME

There were so many preparations to be done, and I don't really want to go on details, but I do have so much respect to nurses after this whole ordeal. I really do feel like they are not being compensated enough, like seriously. So anyway, I was given spinal anesthesia, and the next thing I remember is I was at the recovery room, shaking. I was so scared and was wondering why I was shaking, but apparently it was an after-effect of the anesthesia. I also couldn't feel my lower body. I was wheeled back to my room soon after, and I was told that I still couldn't eat. They attached a catheter to me, and I wanted to die right there and then. It was just really something I did not expect, on top of not being able to eat for another 12 hours. Later that day, my sister showed me what my cyst looked like, and contrary to the previous 13cm prediction, my cyst was actually 16cm big.

POST-SURGERY; A NEW ERA

I just slept the whole day, and I was thankful to my family, and to my friend Anna (who was there with me overnight to take care of me). I found out that I had a few joys in life that I enjoyed post-op and that includes 1) taking out my catheter and finally being able to go to the toilet; 2) being able to finally eat solid foods; and finally, 3) the shower post-op is the best feeling in the world. I am actually grateful that I have been recovering better than I thought I would. My nurses were also surprised that I was already walking, when some patients barely could. I really did take to heart what my doctor told me, that I should try walking around when I can, and I did. I was really eager to get well soon, and so I did everything I can to do so. I think it also helped that I was very optimistic about everything after surgery? If I wasn't, I think I would just make the atmosphere with me and everyone who cared about me, more concerned, and I definitely do not want that.

Right now, I'm writing this at my mom's home, where I'm being well-assisted, and well-fed. I still have a hard time getting up, and I still do feel some pain, but I was given a lot of painkillers and antibiotics, so everything is bearable. My bestfriend actually said she thinks I just have a really high pain tolerance, and maybe I actually do, which is a good thing lol. I won't be able to go to work until next week, well hopefully I can, but I still can't do any strenuous activities either way. I guess this is God's way of telling me to slow down, which is probably something I need.

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

I want to be of help to others who might also experience this, or in order to prevent this from happening again so here are a few things you need to remember if you're a woman in your fertility age:

- If you feel something not regular in your menstruation, or if you have any kind of vaginal/menstrual problems, just go to your OB Gynecologist. It's better to be safe than sorry.

- Always make sure that your health cards contributions are up to date in payments.

- Ask your family if you have a history of ovarian cysts. It helps that you know your family's health history.

- Always get a second or third opinion once you're diagnosed with any sickness.

- If you're on recovery, don't overdo it. I'm still taking this advice, like I want to do something, anything, but I know it will only slow down my process of recovery so I'm just not doing anything and letting myself rest.

- Lastly, if you were ever diagnosed with this, try not to panic and think of ways you can fix it. It is fixable, and you don't have to be scared.


Right now, I have one remaining ovary, and I'm just grateful that it's very healthy and unaffected. I was told that losing one ovary won't be detrimental in my fertility, but it really doesn't matter anyway since I have no plans to have children. Still, it's nice to know that the option is not off the table. What I do want to say is, I don't want to scare anyone, but I want to bring this to light, this could happen to anyone. It is better to prevent, than to cure, always remember that.

Also, I'd like to say thank you to everyone who sent me their prayers and well-wishes, I really did get my strength from all of you.


P.S. I would post photos of my cyst, but it's too disgusting to share lol

Comments

  1. I seriously want to hug you right now ㅠ (and tell you how amazingly strong you are!!!!)

    When you tweeted about this, I was really scared and worried :( We were just talking about delayed periods days before, and it escalated so fast. I'm really thankful you went ahead to get checked, bb ;_;

    I'm thankful that this year, you've been taking action a lot more, whatever situation you're dealt with. I feel like everytime, you get better at this adulting thing. Like even if it's something that worries or scares you, you tough through it, and you overcome it.

    Di ko lang inexpect it's going to also be over something as scary as this ;_; AND BES i did not realize what the surgery would entail, re: your ovary ;_______;

    I’m glad that you’re recovering fast, and yes, kgnfksnf you do have high pain tolerance! But even so, please get lots of rest! Don’t think about work muna, just focus on getting better loveyoooo<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, love you <3 Please also know that I gained strength from your words of encouragement T_T

      Delete
  2. I had an experience also about delayed periods but thankfully it was not a cyst. Or at least that's what the doctor said. But I have experienced recently again about my pms, probably the worst pms, and got delayed for a week again. And now I'm so afraid to go to the doctor after what I read ㅠㅠ

    You're a very brave person though. I wish I was brave like you. And your optimism is really amazing. I have learned that I'm a pessimist ever since highschool that's why I'm afraid of these things. I also have a hard time trusting doctors, even my first OB Gyn. :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Hardest Thing I Ever Had to Do

Seeing as this won the poll , I'm guessing we all go through the same thing everyday. Where to begin really.. As everyone knows, speaking about inner battles, or whatever goes through our heads, is not the easiest thing to do especially in public. We go through our day as normally as possible, even if we have so many things clouding our minds and most of the time we come out of it unscathed. I want to start this entry by saying, you've done so well.

Being Multifandom and A Late Feminist in the 2018 Twitter Fandomland

I was sitting at Tim Hortons (like I always do every week) when I realized I should probably make a long post about the current situation I put myself into. Is my tweet poorly worded? I generally don't really care as much whenever I get bombarded with hate asks and/or accusations about my age, fandom choices, or even about how I look. I still don't feel any sort of anger or hatred towards anyone, I just chose not to feel any of it anymore. However, since a lot of you misunderstood what I meant, and some of you who haven't liked me from the beginning anyway and decided to dig my immature, smh-worthy tweets, I felt like I should make a post about everything surrounding it.