Skip to main content

Your Uterus, My Uterus, Everybody's Uterus: A Word Vomit

The biggest problem is the uterus; it's something that's been bugging me ever since I became aware of my gender. I first got my period when I was around 13 years old, and since then, people around me have been joking about how I can get pregnant now and that I should be weary of men now that I have the ability to create a human being. Point taken. What sets us apart from men is that we can bear a child, and that's precisely why I also hate being a woman.




I loved playing with my dolls when I was a kid. I'd love playing house with my dolls, and borrow my uncles' toys so I can pretend that my dolls are married to them. So many people have told me that having children is something that a woman should do, and I based my life thinking that I would. But! It did not come as a shock at all when I decided that I don't want children of my own. Well, it didn't come as a shock to me, but it sure did to my family and friends. 

It was not until year 2015 when I realized that it was fine to have a choice to not have children. 2015! You would have thought we as a society have evolved in our thinking of current events, or at least of women's rights to have a decision. Being brainwashed (yes I am using this word) that my uterus will be a waste to not use, I always thought somehow I'll be like how my friends ended up too--happily wed with a child along the way. 
Being single for more than a decade now, I have come to love spending time by myself, and it may have influenced my choice as well. My life plan is to travel to as many countries as my feet will take me, and come home to a 1-bedroom unit where I can raise my 5 dogs. 

It still annoys me that the people in my life have judged me for my own personal choices. "You will still change your mind", "You'll see, you're gonna have more children than me", and "Don't say it in finality!" But why? I want to ask why is it important for women to have children? Do I not have a say in what I want to do with my own body? I am so sure that women who have made the same decision as I did, have also faced these kind of questions. 

I wonder why they're grilling my choice in not adding another person in this country when I just do not want to add in the overpopulation of the Philippines. Maybe I should be given a medal! 

The point of this word vomit post is, if you don't want to have children, it's perfectly fine to have that choice. It's gonna be a long and hard process, and I'm still personally going through it and dealing with so much bullshit from the society who thinks they have a say with what I want to do with my own body. Now, if you ask me what if I meet the "right person" and I decide to settle down? Sure, not ruling out that possibility, anything can happen. As of now, I have no intentions to change my mind in child bearing, but as a person who wants to live her life without any regrets, I have also explored the option of freezing my eggs. It's not for any societal or filial issue, it's more of a "me" issue. I know for a fact that I do not want children right now, but what if my future self changes her mind? I once thought I wanted to settle down when I reach my mid-20s, but that fell through lol. I am a person who lives each day without any regrets (sometimes this leads to more trouble, but I'll talk about that some other time), and I having the thought that I at least have an option sounds perfect to me.

With this said, ladies, do not be afraid to make a choice. It is your body, not your parents (contrary to popular belief, you do not owe them anything as it wasn't your choice to be born!), not the society's, but YOURS. Whatever you choose to do with your body, it is yours alone, because let's be real here, you're gonna be the one dealing with the consequences of your choices, not them. So explore life and don't let anybody cage you to what you don't want to do.  

Comments

  1. PREACH IT SISTER

    SAY IT LOUDER FOR THE PEOPLE AT THE BACK

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy I feel like we're kindred spirits I also have made the same choice for my life. Stay strong and "Let's live our life by doing things that we like." ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Hardest Thing I Ever Had to Do

Seeing as this won the poll , I'm guessing we all go through the same thing everyday. Where to begin really.. As everyone knows, speaking about inner battles, or whatever goes through our heads, is not the easiest thing to do especially in public. We go through our day as normally as possible, even if we have so many things clouding our minds and most of the time we come out of it unscathed. I want to start this entry by saying, you've done so well.

So I Had An Ovarian Cyst

I've been really distracted the past week because I was recently diagnosed with dermoid cyst which was found on my right ovary. It was definitely one of the most trying experiences of my life. I initially didn't want to share this because I feel like it can dampen the mood for some reason, and also the sole reason why I didn't want to talk about it until I was already lined up for surgery. But, I do know that it is my goal to let women know this could happen to them, too. So I guess I'm here for a.... STORY TIME! lol

Being Multifandom and A Late Feminist in the 2018 Twitter Fandomland

I was sitting at Tim Hortons (like I always do every week) when I realized I should probably make a long post about the current situation I put myself into. Is my tweet poorly worded? I generally don't really care as much whenever I get bombarded with hate asks and/or accusations about my age, fandom choices, or even about how I look. I still don't feel any sort of anger or hatred towards anyone, I just chose not to feel any of it anymore. However, since a lot of you misunderstood what I meant, and some of you who haven't liked me from the beginning anyway and decided to dig my immature, smh-worthy tweets, I felt like I should make a post about everything surrounding it.